The Director of Med-Surg and Patient Care Services is responsible for the operation of departments/units as delegated by the Chief Nursing Officer. The Director ensures that nursing care meets the staffing and the standard of care in practice through the development of effective quality/ safety monitoring and strong accountability methods. The Director is accountable for coaching and mentoring direct reports to create an environment that fosters the best patient/customer experience and best patient outcomes in an efficient operating system.
The Director of Med-Surg and Patient Care Services further supports the Chief Nursing Officer in designing and delivering nursing care by developing and implementing policies, procedures, and protocols. Represents Nursing in working with department leaders to ensure care coordination, collaboration, compliance, and attainment of division, organizational and regulatory objectives. The Director assumes nursing leadership in the absence of the Chief Nursing Officer. The Director will be responsible for supporting the leadership for organizational direction for customer experience, primarily focusing on nurse communication and all other duties as assigned.
- Evaluates the quality, effectiveness, and consistency of the nursing practice against best practice standards and take appropriate action to assist managers and staff to achieve excellence in patient/family care. Executes change management approaches that support the achievement of nursing care outcomes consistent with top-performing organizations.
- Ensures that confidential conversations and information are not shared and maintains confidentiality at all times. Role models the principles of relationship-based care and sets the expectations for behavior that reflects the healing environment and supports the goal of providing the best patient/family experience.
- Partners with the Chief Nursing Officer and other leaders throughout the organization to problem-solve and develop patient care systems that enhance the patient/family experience, promote exceptional outcomes, and support coordination of care. Collaborates with nursing leadership and faculty to provide an organizational structure that advances professional nursing practice, education, innovation, and nursing research. Participates in shared governance.
- Sustains compliance with regulatory requirements State Education Department, New York State Nurse Practice requirements, corporate compliance, and standards put forth by accreditation agencies. Provides coaching to nurse managers and staff in the selection of clinical indicators that reflect an understanding of process and outcomes and ensures action is taken to achieve desired results. Drives a focus on patient safety evidenced by systematic improvement of clinical outcomes. Facilitates desired outcomes on core measures influenced by nursing practice.
- Partners with the Chief Nursing Officer, nursing leaders, and Administrative Team to conduct patient and staff rounding on a routine basis. Communicate expectations to interdisciplinary team members and other stakeholders to foster care coordination and seamless care delivery across department lines. Serves as an interdisciplinary facilitator in solving problems and addressing the patient/family needs to enhance the hospital experience. Co-leads the patient experience team with a focus on nurse communication.
- Ensures that budget and productivity targets are achieved for his/her direct reports and units. Collaborates with the Chief Nursing Officer and Nursing Leadership to develop, implement, and evaluate resource requirements to support the nursing division's strategic and operational plans. Develop and sustain effective engagement strategies to promote staff satisfaction and retention.
Who Will Be a Great Fit?
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing (BSN), Masters preferred
- Active New York State License to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse
- BLS, ACLS, and PEDS certification is required through the RQI system.
- 5+ years of strong experience and knowledge of hospital nursing operations and a track record of successful application in an acute care hospital setting.
- 4+ years in active clinical practice as a registered nurse.
- 4+ years in a leadership and management capacity in an acute care operations position
- 1+ of those years at the department director level or above
About the area: Located in the beautiful, nature enthusiast Finger Lakes Region of New York State. It boasts quality wine trails of the Finger Lakes wine region, a rich history, natural beauty, and four season attractions. Short drive to many area colleges and universities.