- Compensation: $125-150,000
- Comprehensive Benefit and Retirement Programs.
This is a great opportunity for a Controller that believes they are an excellent manager and developer of people. The ideal management philosophy is an individual who is engaged, attentive to staff needs, and very organized. This individual gets great satisfaction in working with others to get things done well. This professional must also have a strong foundation of financial reporting and an ability to work with outside constituents. Finally, if you wish to be part of an organization that seeks to make an impact, this energy provider is the place for you!
Our client is an energy services company. They offer customers clean, affordable, and reliable thermal energy service. They currently serve over 50,000 families and is a vital partner in Vermont’s clean energy future. The Company is proud of the dedicated team of over 100 Vermonters committed to their customers, their communities, their culture, and the climate.
The Controller leads the company's accounting operations through the oversight of monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports, the maintenance and development of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk.
Who Will Be a Great Fit?
- Regularly communicate financial results to stakeholders. Coordinate year-end financial audit of the Company with an outside accounting firm, parent company, and shareholder. Present financial statements to the Audit Committee.
- Supervise, support, and/or complete the preparation of quarterly tax provisions and technical accounting related to GAAP, FERC, and the utility industry.
- Support regulatory rate filings with internal regulatory personnel and financial analysts to ensure that required information is available, appropriately reflected in rate filings, and aligned with the budget.
- Support the annual budgeting process by assisting managers in developing budgets and operating reports and facilitate analysis and availability of information for management decision-making.
- Lead and inspire a team while also playing a hands-on role with accounting staff, accounts payable, payroll, billing and cash receipts functions.
- Responsible for the overall application administration of the financial information system.
- Participate in Risk Management Committee, which is responsible for executing the Company’s Derivative Policy for hedging of commodity and foreign exchange costs related to natural gas. Recommend and execute hedges related to foreign exchange and/or interest rates. Oversee mark-to-market accounting for all derivatives, including foreign exchange, commodity and interest rates.
- Assist plan administration for the pension, 401(k), and executive compensation plans by coordinating with investment advisors, actuaries, auditors and employees to ensure plan compliance, accurate financial analysis, and funding of the plans.
- Lead and oversee the general cash flow, wire transactions, ACH, and daily lines of credit borrowing needs with lenders. Approve borrowings or pay downs according to bank target balances.
- Design, administer, and ensure compliance with the company’s internal control procedures. Recommend changes as necessary to maintain the integrity of financial and software systems while balancing operational efficiency. Maintain compliance with 52-109 (Canadian SOX).
- Administer insurance coverage program to procure insurance effectively and ensure appropriate coverage for all areas of the business.
- Design and implement efficiencies to better leverage data, report information, and support informed business decisions.
- Lead multiple concurrent projects and activities – effectively prioritizing and allocating time and resources while regularly communicating status to stakeholders.
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting/ finance/ business administration and/ or an advanced business degree is required; a CPA is attractive.
- 6+ years of progressive corporate accounting and financial management experience is necessary; prior public accounting experience is preferred.
- Excellent technology skills – spreadsheets, aptitude to learn the financial systems and to leverage technology solutions for communication, efficiency, and data integrity.
- Attractive skills would include demonstrated involvement with accounting pronouncements such as the recent changes in the treatment of leases, prior involvement in managing audits and other financial administration activities is necessary.
- Advanced knowledge of accounting principles, including how accounting pronouncements will impact the organization and how organizational strategic initiatives will impact financials, and able to resolve complex accounting and financial issues is important.
- Demonstrated management experience is necessary; an interest and/or experience in procurement is a plus.
- Clear and effective communicator, responsive listener, and efficient collaborator to build excellent internal and external relationships. Able to represent the company in negotiations for services is a must.
- Able to flourish in a fast-paced, highly collaborative environment that requires flexibility, constant prioritization, and project management skills to lead the implementation of solutions is very important.
- Accountable for considerable monetary responsibility, complete confidentiality, and reporting with an extremely high degree of accuracy and integrity is important.
- Able to clearly communicate expectations and foster a supportive culture of accountability is very important.
- Inspiring developer of people. Champion of ideas to improve speed and effectiveness and leverage technology. Role model for customer focus in decision-making….this is our purple unicorn.
As recruiters, we are skilled in our field and understand how to match an opportunity with the individual. If you choose to send us your resume, be advised we will not share it with any employer without your permission.