This company is a leading developer of advanced power systems, including transformers, inductors, capacitors and power supplies for multiple industries (medical, industrial, commercial, military, etc.).
We're looking for a Lead Power Electronics Engineer for one of our clients based in Bordentown, NJ. This company is a leading developer of advanced power systems, including transformers, inductors, capacitors and power supplies for multiple industries (medical, industrial, commercial, military, etc.). In this role, you will be responsible for project management, team leadership, and hands one development for a dynamic team working on exciting new technologies.
Responsibilities of Lead Power Electronics Engineer:
- Provide “hands-on” power electronic design engineering expertise and experience to assist in obtaining additional business opportunities. Conceptualize the initial design specifications for each project to meet business goals and customer requirements. Develop technical content and designs for proposals. Along with the initial designs for each project, work on the designs throughout the projects to ensure outcomes are maximized.
- Assist in planning and ensuring the effective execution of all engineering projects and strategies including any required coordination with other departments. Work with other departments within an organization to establish user or customer requirements, project costs and resources. Employ innovative solutions and creative approaches as indicated.
- Function as a technical advisor for the Sales & Marketing department and other managers in the organization and work closely with them to assist in addressing their technical issues and customer requirements. Assist with customer relationships and customer service as required both directly and through others.
- Ensures that projects are completed in a cost-effective and timely manner and that agreed project budgets are adhered to and projects are completed in the required time frame.
- Evaluate and develop engineering programs, policies, procedures and controls.
- Evaluate and use outsourced services where appropriate. Carefully review and obtain required approvals for all agreements for outside services.
- Investigate and stay current of engineering and technical developments, best practices and recommend programs and program changes as indicated.
- Ensure maintenance and security of all necessary technical information.
- Ensure engineering work is in compliance with all Federal, state, and technical engineering standards.
- The company is a manufacturing company that provides solutions to specific niche markets that requires HV, HF and occasionally high current solutions for power conversion equipment.
- BSEE (MSEE preferred) and 10+ years of “hands-on” design engineering experience including the design of IGBT based power electronic converters in the 50 KW to 200 KW power range (some projects up to 1 MW). Mastery of circuit topologies, power electronic components, and control techniques is required.
- High voltage experience, from 10 Kv to 110 Kv (some projects up to 200 Kv).
- Competence and familiarity with design tools such as Excel, Mathcad, Matlab, and Pspice (or equivalent programs) are essential.
- Experience working with digital control methods is a plus.
- Have knowledge and can direct manufacturing people in the assembly and wiring of HV, HF power conversion equipment.
- Technical vision and a knack for selecting effective solutions. Strong analytical skills. Demonstrated ability to assess a variety of abstract facts, formulate reasoned alternatives and positively communicate decisions and solutions.
- Strong business acumen. Strong product development orientation.
- Ability to thrive in a deadline driven environment.
- Ability to develop strong working relationships. Good team building skills.
- Possesses a high energy level and enthusiasm with the ability to focus on agreed recommendations and results.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills. Able to function independently and also work in a team environment.
- Presentation skills, communication skills and team work is extremely critical to success within the organization.
- Has a bias for action and results. Enjoys visibility.
- Takes initiative, develops and implements creative and effective solutions to key problems. Strives for continuous improvement. Thinks outside the box to solve problems.
- Applies sound business ethics and exhibits high degree of integrity in all business interactions.
- Able to work within the R&D HV, HP test lab along with other test cells to ensure testing is properly conducted with the test technicians.
- Ability to complete and direct the generation of test procedures for internal testing along with compliance testing agencies.
- Understands that it is critical to be a mentor to younger engineers to allow and promote growth within the organization.
- Able to develop schedules for development activities.
- Required to use the corporate MRP system for existing drawing protocol, part number creation along with other aspect of an AS9100 system.
- Required to work with corporate QA, materials, manufacturing and test teams.
- HV, HF magnetics design or understanding is desired, but not required.
- Understanding of thermal design for oil filled equipment, dry type, forced air and natural convection cooled products is required.
- FEA experience is desired, but not required.
- Good understanding of software, firmware and controls is required.